Tuesday, April 2, 2013

When 4 Weeks Becomes 3

I don't know how many times I said these words to my fellow nursing students yesterday: "Only four more weeks guys. Four weeks from today and we'll be done with this semester." And then I came home and said it again to Christie. And then Christie said, "You mean three." And in my head it was all like "oh yeah man I wish only three" and then I pulled out a calendar and guys its only three more weeks. 

So I got a little... well, lets use the word ambitious (could be substituted for stupid, thoughtless, crazy, overly-confident, any of those would fit just as well) this semester. I believed that surely after surviving what is commonly known as the hardest semester of the nursing program last fall, this semester would be a piece of cake. So what'd I do? I registered for 18 credits. I got 3 jobs. I decided to start training for my first marathon. I continued my calling in the Relief Society presidency. Oh, and I decided to try and maintain some semblance of a dating and social life as well.

To say that it has been a challenge would be quite the understatement. Unfortunately, I have done way too much complaining about how hard my life is, when really I brought this challenge upon myself. I literally signed myself up for it. My most common and accurate description of how i'm feeling this semester can be summed up in one word: drowning. Then in a conversation with one of my church leaders, I explained my frustrations and feelings of inadequacy and stress. He pointed out that every single one of my "burdens" is in fact quite a blessing:
  • I go to my dream school.
  • I am in the major that I have always wanted to be in, learning how to do what I love. 
  • I was able to find steady employment that pays well and provides for my monetary needs.
  • I have a healthy body that is free of illness and injury. I get to push my body to new and exciting levels of running.
  • I am active and involved at church. I am part of an organization that has allowed me to form new friendships, talents, and an appreciation for leadership of the church.
  • I have wonderful friends who I get to have tons of fun with. I have people who love me and make my life a better, happier place.
How thankful I am for such a blessed life. I have so many good things going for me, there is just too much to even keep track of. That being said, I will never, ever, do this to myself again. The stress just isn't worth it. In three short weeks, I get to leave this beastly semester in the dust. The question now is, can I really survive for that much longer? The next 21 days in my planner are exploding with due dates, projects, exams, service hours, clinical hours, work commitments, church obligations, baby showers, miles that need to be run, trips to the bank and grocery store, bills to be paid, and much more. My head just might explode before the end of the semester comes...

But wait, that just can't happen, because there are good things on my horizon. Actually, there are FANTASTIC things on my horizon. I'll tell you folks all about it in another blog post real soon. I just gotta hunker down, make it through the rough seas that i'm in right now, and before I know it there'll be a period of smooth sailing into those exciting horizons. I can't wait.

Like I mentioned before, despite my challenges I have countless wonderful blessings in my life. And yes, those blessings really do manifest themselves on a daily basis. They are really what keep my going. They are my fuel and my motivation for getting up out of bed every morning instead of pulling the covers over my head and decided to give up because its just all too hard. Each day, despite the stress, there are little gems that make the day worth finishing with a smile on my face. 

Its a card from home. Its free funny glasses from the wilk. Its sleeping under the stars and waking up to a gorgeous sunset over the mountains. Its gigantic bananas. Its a surprise Easter basket from my brother and sister. Its ironically placed stores. Its a water fight in a car. Its a letter from a longtime buddy of mine who gets home in 4 months. Its a text from a friend who says he just loves your blog. Its Rachel's comment on the envelope of her first missionary letter. Its a message that made me laugh out loud in the middle of class. Its a friend covering for me at work so I could enjoy an Easter dinner with my family. Its free J-Dawgs. Its achieving success in an April Fool's Day joke. Its a hilarious snapchat. Its surviving scary, stressful days. Its counting down to general conference this weekend. Its the big things, the little things, and all the wonderful things in between.












Life is good, my friends.
THREE more weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Did you change up your blog, or did I just notice it? Looks good.
    Don't ever lose this post. You need to come back and look at it again and again when you are feeling in future times like you are drowning. You can do it now, and you will be able to do it then.

    Just three more weeks!

    ReplyDelete