Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Remembering Tonga

I can't believe its been a year.
365 days ago I landed down on the beautiful island of Tongatapu, Tonga.
The month that followed changed my life in so many ways.
My eyes were opened to a whole new world (cue the Aladdin music).
I was there to learn about nursing in the South Pacific and to gain a global nursing experience, which I did, but there was so much more to it than just that. 

The phrases Malo e lelei, 'Io, bula!, and palangi quickly became a part of my everyday vocabulary. I came to appreciate Diet Coke for its magical way of settling my stomach after I ate any questionable local meals. I recognized that no matter how many different tie-dye shirts I wore, everyone still thought I only brought one change of clothes for the whole trip. I was touched by the dedication, testimonies, and strong spirits (and singing voices) of the Tongan saints. My eyes saw shades of blue that I didn't even know existed. I witnessed the unconditional love of small children who just want to learn and play and grow strong. I gained an appreciation for the scrubs that American nurses get to wear and counted my blessings that I don't have to dawn a hot pink hat/dress combo as I treat my patients. Pigs were everywhere there, and sometimes they are even cute. Also, they don't like raisins. I skinny dipped with 10 other girls on our secret clearwater beach, and have absolutely no regrets about it. I learned the value of flexibility and being okay with not always being in control of situations. I showered with the biggest spider i've ever seen and... okay so what i'm still afraid of spiders. I faced my fears by jumping into dark black cave water, only to be rewarded with a memory that will last a lifetime. 

Really, the entire experience was made up of days and excursions and patients and tiny little moments of incredible memories. I promised myself one year ago that I would soak in and appreciate every second of my time abroad in Fiji and Tonga, and I did. I promised myself that I would remember it all and reflect on it often, and I have. The lessons that I learned and some of the sisters that I gained there are forever. Even as two and three and 10 and 20 years pass, I never want to lose my appreciation and love for my time in Tonga, the people there, and the person that I became while I was there. 

Okay so lets get real, what better way is there to remember Tonga than through a ton of pictures?





























































No comments:

Post a Comment