Monday, March 24, 2014

Fake Spring Break For Real Spring Training

BYU doesn't have a spring break. It just doesn't exist, and its quite the sore subject for many BYU students. However, some of us choose to take matters into our own hands and make a fake spring break happen anyway. This last weekend, I did just that with my friends Taylor and TJ. We all grew up in the same stake in Kirkland, and despite their families moving all around to different places, we are true Seattleites at heart and die-hard Mariners fans to boot. Well baseball season is fast approaching and spring training is well underway, and there was no way we could pass up a weekend in sunny Arizona to go watch our guys get ready for the most wonderful time of the year! With round trip airfare for $89, a couple of cheap ballgame tickets, a SA-WEET rental car that Jolly talked the price wayyy down on, and a free place to stay, it was literally the best deal we possibly could have gotten for a weekend getaway. We may only have escaped Provo for less than 48 hours, but every moment was so jam-packed with fun and adventure that it was WELL worth it!

And now, for the pictures. Brace yourselves, for there are many.

Flying out of the teeny tiny Provo airport!

Chrysler 200. Oooh that baby rides real smooth.

There was no time to waste between landing in AZ and jetting off to our first ball game!

We made it!!!!

Welcome to our heaven.


Love dem boys ♥



Okay seriously, I couldn't have picked two better people to do this trip with. These crazy guys are such a hoot to be around! Also, their dance moves are quite impressive :)
 



Is it weird that even brushing our teeth together was great? And that I missed them when I was back in my own apartment brushing my teeth by myself? Yes it is. But its also true.


We stayed in Chandler at the home of some family friends of the Jollys, and everything about it was perfect. They were extremely generous and provided us with way more than we needed. Their kindness was overwhelming and very much appreciated. And also their house was BEAUTIFUL. This is their backyard... They picked oranges off a tree and made us fresh-squeezed orange juice to go with our breakfast. I mean, come on, how great is that?

Game #2! TJ had to fly up to Seattle early Saturday morning so it was just Jolly and I from there on out. Believe it or not we enjoyed watching the game despite the Ms losing and the fact that we basically cooked to the point of well-done in the afternoon AZ sunshine.

I may not be an Oakland supporter, but ooooh my i'm this man's new #1 fan. This was right before we made eye contact. In those 0.3 seconds I looked deeply into his eyes and our souls connected and I saw our future together. Mostly likely it consists of me watching him from afar if he happens to play against my Mariners... 

After the game we paid a visit to the new Gilbert temple. Honestly, one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. And we didn't even get to go inside, but I hear thats even more stunning. I've made a resolution to come back and go inside someday!



Back at the house we took in the results of our day in the sun without sunscreen... ouchies.

After a little rest and some March Madness, were off to Joe's Farm and Grill. Did you know that everything sounds/tastes better when you put the words "farm fresh" in front of them? Mmm, how 'bout this farm fresh BBQ sauce?! And these farm fresh ribs?? And ooohhh don't even get me started on the farm fresh BBQ bacon burger. 

The place was amazing. But the bathroom with the glass encased barbie dolls... kinda weird.

With our last few non-sleeping AZ hours we ate cheesecake by the outdoor gas fireplace while we listened to music and soaked in the starry sky. Guys, LIFE IS SO COOL.


And then just a few short hours later it was time fly off into the gorgeous sunrise and get back to our busy lives of school and responsibility. 



This baseball girl's heart was so very filled this weekend. With good friends and good fun and a heck of a lot of Bastille (eh-eh-oh-ehoh, eh-eh-oh-ehoh!), I feel so renewed and refreshed! I am ready to take on the next 32 crazy busy days until graduation.

You know i've been craving adventure lately. Well, LIFE is an adventure! I just have to take it day by day even with the ups and downs and twists and turns. I have the power to be excited and to be happy and to be adventurous, even on the days that are made up of homework or long training runs or donating plasma. And of course when opportunities like flying to another state with friends for a weekend come along, I take them, I enjoy every second of it, and I make memories that will last a lifetime. 

And then I blog about it. 
Duh.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Fun times with funny friends. Does life get any better than this?

    ReplyDelete