Wednesday, March 26, 2014

My One-Way Ticket

The decade of decision. Thats what they call it, you know. The 10 years of your life where you're making decisions about what college to go to, what to major in, what career to pursue, who to date and who to marry and when to have kids and where to live. The number of life-altering decisions that you make between the ages of 18 and 28 is pretty astounding. At 21, I feel like i'm doin' alright so far. BYU has been the college of my dreams. The nursing program has fulfilled me more than i'll ever be able to express. I will graduate with a Bachelor's degree, pass the NCLEX, and then be ready to begin my career as an RN. Best believe i'm going to finish out my BYU experience without a ring on my finger, so some may say that I never really graduated... but you know i'm feeling pretty okay about all that (...successful career... real income... imma just be a hot single lady and bask in the glory of that for a while!). So as a soon-to-be grad, the next decision for me is this: where am I going to start my big girl grown up life? Remember how I said that I made some big life decisions while I was home last weekend? Well friends, this is it.

I, Jannette Elaine Perry, am moving to McKinney, Texas.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is no joke. This is real life. Can you believe it?!

This decision has been a really, really big one for me and believe me when I tell you that I did not make it lightly. I came to the conclusion that this is the best move for me after months of pondering, conversation, prayer, and fasting. What started out as a joking idea turned into a real question, and then a legitimate possiblity, and then a wonderful opportunity, and then the right choice. Going home and thoroughly talking through all of this with mom and dad was what finally sealed the deal. Before I knew it, final decisions were made. Plans were drawn up. My future officially has a geographic destination :)

It is no coincidence that my big sister (slash best friend) and her family also live in McKinney. In fact it was definitely one of the deciding factors. The Kenealey clan moved to Texas almost 7 years ago, and in that time, I have been there... 15 times? Maybe more? All I know is that i've been there a lot and sometimes for more than 3 full weeks. And yet, when it comes time for me to leave, i'm never ready. I always long for more time there. Initially after my move, I will be living in their home in a spare bedroom. Transitioning from temporary apartments with roommates of all kinds (no offense to any of the roommates i've ever had, I really do love you all) to a home filled with framed pictures and curtains and real carpet and a kitchen with matching dishes (*swoon*) is going to be a dream. Not to mention the people with whom I will share this home. Brayden, Ella, Rachel, and Katie are 4 of my favorite humans on the planet. Being a part of their everyday lives by driving to soccer practice, picking up from school, dancing in the living room after dinner, tucking in at night, and helping with homework is going to fulfill me in a way I can't even begin to explain. One of my main goals while I live there will be to help ease some of the burdens in their family's hectic life by making dinners and chauffering children and babysitting on date night. Then there's Kirstin and Ty, who have both grown to become some of my closest friends over the years, and I SO look forward to the merciless teasing, movie nights, and many good conversations that we will have. Kirstin and I have exchanged texts, phone calls, emails, and pictures DAILY for years, and now finally we will be in close proximity to one another for the long-term. We don't have to be depressed as we mark off the days until I leave Texas, because this time i've got my one-way ticket.

With all that being said, I also want to emphasize that I understand the importance of establishing my own roots for as long as I am there. I will be attending the singles ward, making friends, and looking for girls (or guy...eternal roommate anyone?) who I could eventually share an apartment or house with. As soon as I get down there, the job hunting begins. McKinney is conveniently located near many large hospitals, as well as smaller medical offices and urgent care centers. I'm also happy to report that nurses are treated quite well in Texas! After I take the NLCEX around the beginning of June and become officially registered and licensed as an RN in the state of Texas, I will be ready to officially begin my career. Honestly, I can't wait!

For so many years, the next step in my life has been obvious. Turn 8, get baptized. Turn 12, start young womens. Turn 16, get my license and get a date :) Graduate from high school. Go to BYU. Get into the nursing program. Graduate from college. Pass the NCLEX. Really i've never had to think too hard about what my next step is, because the plan is so clear. For the first time in a long time, i've had to make a difficult decision for my life's path. I've had to step into the dark and try to find my own way. I feel really, really good about going to Texas. In my process of trying to decide where to go, everything about Texas just felt right and good and comforting. Everything other option I considered made me feel fuzzy and panicky and scared. I believe that personal revelation and answers to prayer come in many forms, and for me the feelings of relief and joy that washed over me when I thought about and then decided on Texas was all I needed for confirmation that it was the right move.

I am right in the thick of my decade of decision. I have found so much happiness and fulfillment thus far in my life, and I cannot wait to find out what my future holds... in Texas!

3 comments:

  1. Texas really is the Land of Great People. No so much for great snowboarding, however. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the hint in your last post, I couldn't wait to find out what your plans were. I asked your mom. What a thrill and what a great choice. The bad part of it is, you will not be so close to us, and therefore your parents will visit here as often. Best of luck. Love you.

    ReplyDelete