Friday, September 2, 2011

13.1

Tomorrow is the big day people. I will attempt to run a half-marathon. The Utah Salt Flats Festival Half Marathon. I signed up for this race back at the end of April and immediately started training. I did awesome at sticking to the schedule, getting all my runs in, keeping my pace, etc. Until the last month or so... when I proceeded to fall apart. A lot of my mileage didn't get done. I slacked. A lot. And that was stupid. And now that tomorrow is THE DAY, yeah maybe i'm feeling a bit of regret that I let that happen! BUT, I can promise you and myself that nothing will stop me from finishing this race (even if it takes a considerable amount of time longer than I had originally anticipated).
Some interesting (intimidating) facts about this wonderful little race that i'll be participating in tomorrow:
- There are only 50-75 participants. A lot smaller than I imagined it'd be!
- Its in the middle of nowhere. No joke, THIS is where i'll be running. Its straight. Its empty. Its boring. Its salty. Its gonna be HOT. Its flat. So flat they say we'll be able to see the curvature of the earth!!
- The glare off the flat, salty ground is so bad they say sunglasses are an absolute must. Also...
- An email I received from one of the race coordinators says this: "Bring sunscreen and lots of it. Due to the reflective nature of the salt, you are going to get a tan [for me probably a burn] in areas you normally don't." YIKES.
Send up a message to the Big Man on my behalf tomorrow, will ya? I'm going to need all the help I can get.
I hope I live to be able to tell the tale!

No comments:

Post a Comment