Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Day-After Letdown

You know that feeling you get the day after Christmas? That weird, melancholy, confusing, I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-myself feeling? Because suddenly all the gifts are unwrapped, the Coats and the Carpenters and the Chipmunks have stopped playing on the radio, its time for the tree to come down, and that magical Christmasy feeling is just *poof* gone. I woke up sort of feeling that feeling this morning. Why? Because Christmas happened last night!! Well, at least our super awesome roommate Christmas did. A few weeks back we decided that before we all packed up and headed home to spend the holidays with our families, we would have our own super special celebration. So thats exactly what we did. To get in the spirit, we threw on our footsie pajamas, BLASTED Baby It's Cold Outside, and then hunkered down in the living room with blankets and pillows and presents. As we ate candy canes, sang along to carols, and tore into the silly and wonderful gifts we purchased for one another, it truly felt like Christmas to us. I was surrounded by people I loved. I was filled with excitement and happiness. We talked and laughed and took pictures and laughed some more. I don't think I have ever been so elated about chip clips as I was the moment I opened my gift from Hallie. And the fat kid watermelon picture from Rachel. And the heavenly scented candles that i'll be drooling over for months from Christie. Once the gift giving was completed, we cozied down with ice cream and hot chocolate (ever had them together? try it) and then fell asleep watching Christmas movies. It was wonderful. It was happy. It was fun. It was marvelous. It was magical! 

Getting into that Christmas mood!




 Best thrift find ever by Rachel. That girl is impressive at finding the funniest/most random stuff.

 Soooo glad she liked the Spongebob soap I got her haha.


 Check it. Is that not THE funniest picture you have ever seen. It is now being displayed at a prominent point in our living room, because I cannot not laugh every time I see it.


 We even made the typical Christmas morning mess :)

And then played in it!



FAVORITE.

So sad we won't be together next semester. We are losing Rachel to a mission and Hallie to her man. I love you all!

Merry Christmas, from our awkward family to yours!



I may have felt for a short while today that I had transitioned to the post-Christmas mourning period, but then I remembered: real Christmas still hasn't happened yet! I have one more final to take tomorrow, and then early Saturday morning I get to board a plane to go home for 3 weeks and spend some serious quality time with my family. I cannot wait to walk into my house and smell (and then, of course, taste) my mamma's delicious cooking. And smell the real tree. And cuddle with my puppy by the fire. And hold my sweet new niece for the first time. And reunite with my friends and siblings I haven't seen in months. And sleep in my big cozy bed. Ohhh baby, it's going to be good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment