Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My Best Friend Is A Missionary

Dear Sister Thompson,

Woah, thaaaat's pretty weird. It's Sister Thompson now, not just Rachel. Because you became a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints today. COOL.

Let me tell you something girl. About 21 years ago, from the moment our mamma friends were preggo,  i'm sure we were just destined to be friends. We both know the story: our due dates were only 2 days apart, but I came a little early so a whole 2 weeks of life separates us instead. We hung out side by side before we were even born, and we've stayed that way for the last 20+ years. From sunbeams to college. Thats right girlfriend. I mean yeah, we had that dry spell during junior high where we were lame and weren't really that close, but I think we both figured out pretty quick that life just wasn't as good without each other. Having you in my life has made me a better person. You are an inspiration to me in so many ways you don't even know. Seriously though.

Less than six months ago you sat in the seat next to me in the conference center and listened to President Monson announce that the missionary age was being lowered. You've wanted to serve a mission for like, a long time. And even though you turn 21 in September, this change meant that you could go NOW. And even though I loved that we were finally college roommates and I really didn't want you to leave early, I am so happy for you. So happy that your dream to serve the Lord is finally coming true. 

I love that our moms were friends and that they were pregnant at the same time.
I love that I had preschool at your house.
I love that you were at all my birthday parties.
I love that you did my hair for prom.
I love that you wore my homecoming dress to your prom.
I love that we have a mutual love for The Office.
I love that you have a way of turning bad things into good things.
I love that you are a miraculous problem solver.
I love that you have the most creative, exciting mind ever.
I love that you actually laugh at my jokes. Thats a rare thing for me.
I love that I can tell you anything.
I love that in high school you could make me forget about all my insane stress, if even for just a moment at young women's activities.
I love the memories I have of swinging in your front yard.
I love that you have THE best hair in the world.
I love that you have some of the purest blue eyes I have ever seen.
I love that the goal we set in primary of living together in college finally came true.
I love that you converted me to soy milk.
I love that my dad has his own nickname for you.
I love that only know what it means when I say, "I don't put salt on myyyy....." ;)
I love that because of you, we had a spontaneous Disneyland trip last semester.
I love that we both played on the Hurricanes for a lot of years.
I love that I got to watch you be drugged when you got your wisdom teeth out.
I love that you put up with me crazy stupid annoyingness all the time.
I love that we tye dye shirts in my back yard.
I love that you go to my house even when i'm not there just to hang out with my parents.
I love that we spent an entire summer working together in the same tiny room.
I love that sometimes you know me better than I know myself.
I love that when you were at BYU-H and I was here in Provo, one long phone call would change my tears into ridiculous laughter.
I love that I got to watch you open your mission call over Skype. 
I love that it made me cry.
I love that I am going to be able to email you and send you letters and care packages for the next 18 months.
I love that I got to pick you up from the airport this morning and take you to Costco and J-Dawgs.
I love that I got to be your companion for a whole 2 hours. 
I love that you let me take a bazillion pictures.
I love that I got to hug you goodbye, tell you I love you, and wave goodbye and you entered the Missionary Training Center to be the BEST MISSIONARY ARGENTINA HAS EVER SEEN.
Rachel, I love you!!

You, my friend, are amazing. And you better believe that I miss you like crazy already.

Love, 
Jannette


Yeah girl. Dry those hands.

 Yeah girl. Eat that J-Dawg.

 Last minute rearranging!

 Here we go!!!

Driving and video taping at the same time. Not easy, but possible.

 We're at a stoplight! Let's take pictures!

This is really happening. It hits her here!

 The sexy sister missionary pose. I don't think that's supposed to exist...

:)

My best friend forever and always chica, better believe it.

She is a missionary now!
So entertaining.

You were worried about having too much luggage. The look on his face tells me he might have the same worry hahahaha.

 MTC TIME BABY!

 The last look for 18 months. I love you!

And then the seat next to me was empty.
And thanks to Nate and Austin, in my head i'm singin' all about empty chairs at empty tables :(

I love you, Sister Thompson. 
Return with honor.

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute post. And Jannette...you're beautiful. Hope things are going well! The end.

    ReplyDelete