Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Throwback

I have some really stellar memories from Halloweens as a kid.
For some reason today I just can't shake the childhood image and feelings of sitting on the stairs by the front door, all dressed up and ready to go trick-or-treating, pillowcase already in hand. The lights were on in the kitchen but off in the living room except for a small strand of orange lights, and our two Halloween CDs were playing on repeat. Mom's white ceramic ghost was lit up, its orange eyes blinking every once in a while. I stared longingly at the clock, waiting for the time we got to go out and beg for candy from strangers (have you ever thought about how weird that really is?). Then mom reminded me that we hadn't even eaten dinner yet, and I had to be patient. Pretty sure we ate mac n' cheese.
These might be a bunch of random memories i've collected over the years all crammed together into one moment... but for whatever reason that's how they are configured in my brain. They are making me miss home today. I just want to eat some mac and cheese and have my mamma to take me trick-or-treating.
Buuuut i'm not home. And i'm not a little kid. And instead of trick-or-treating I shall spend this evening party hopping and pretending that I don't still wish I was dressed up as an overly-makeuped princess, scouting through the neighborhoods with my brother. So I settled for mom sending me pictures from Halloweens past. Which I shall now allow you to enjoy.

because all real princesses wear makeup that heavy... right?!
because i distinctly remember my kindergartner brain feeling scandalous without sleeves on this dress

because admit it, i make a cute witch

because i wanted to be just like my big sister!

(okay so apparently i got a little extra chubbs that year... whoops!)
because i'm just pretending that being a dead japanese woman ISN'T an embarrassing costume

 because still, i wanted to be just like my big sister!

because baseball player is always my fallback. it sure is this year!

Check me out 20 years ago as a pumpkin! Every child in our family has worn that exact pumpkin costume for their first Halloween. We are now down to grandchildren. It was Amelia's turn this year! And shoot dang does she make a pumpkin look adorable.


HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

(I love you mamma! Thank you for good Halloween holiday memories and hilarious costumes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment