Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Then And Now

Three years ago, I started a journey. It was a journey that involved scrubs and stethoscopes, and I was SO VERY excited about that fact. Remember? I even blogged about it here. I had just started my first semester of nursing school and didn't even have clinicals yet. I had never so much as touched a real patient, but I was just giddy about the fact that I got to wear my scrubs to campus to do free blood pressure screenings. 
That was then.

Now, I am nearing the end of this journey, and I am SO VERY excited about that fact. I am finishing my last semester of nursing school this month. I have completed hundreds of clinical hours in too many different places to count and i've had my fair share of torturous early mornings and extremely late nights. I have given shots, drawn blood, and started (and messed up) a lot of IVs. I have taken vital signs, stood for hours on end in freezing ORs, and assessed patients from the very top of their head to the very tips of their toes. I have sat in on psych therapy groups and assisted in showering a burn victim. I have helped bring lives into the world as well as held the hands of those departing from it. (... And yeah, i've seen a lot of butts). My scrubs are worn out and stained and begging to be retired. And yet, I still get stoked to put them on. My patch and name tag have travelled across the world and back with me, and it has always been an honor to represent BYU in all that I do as a nursing student. 

Last night, I put on my scrubs and donned my stethoscope one final time as I completed my very last shift as a BYU nursing student. 
This is now.


THEN


NOW


I'll be honest, it doesn't quite feel real yet. I'm still feeling like come next fall i'll be assigned a clinical group and we'll be meeting at the crack of dawn in the Brick Oven parking lot to carpool to Primary Children's or the U of U hospital for a day full of learning and being terrified/excited/eager/hesitant as we try new things and cross our fingers for a good preceptor. But in reality, come next fall i'll be in Texas where I will (hopefully!!) be waking up at the crack of dawn to drive to a hospital where i'll have new scrubs, a new name tag, and a position as an RN where i'll actually get paid (*gasp!*) for my hard work. My journey as a nursing student may be drawing to a close, but my life as a nurse is just beginning!

Seriously, i'm one lucky blessed girl. 

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog and I love it especially this post! I am also a nursing student ! I am just finishing up my second semester of an accelerated graduate program so after these next two weeks I only have two more semesters to go until the NCLEX it is so surreal considering I only started in August. I have been searching for a fellow nursing blogger and I am so glad I found your blog! Looking forward to reading more about your nursing adventures in the future. Good luck on NCLEX!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alia, I am so glad you've found and enjoyed my blog! And of course, its always very exciting to make connections with fellow nursing students :) I will most definitely be keeping followers posted on my nursing adventures because i'm sure there will be many, especially as NCLEX draws closer and then I get a start in the big real world. Great to hear from you and good luck in your schooling!

      Delete