Friday, August 17, 2012

The Property Report

I sat in the motorhome, carefully frosting dad's surprise birthday cake, quietly observing mom and her sister as they stood at the sink doing dishes, singing along to an old song they both knew and playfully bantering back and forth. I thought back to a few minutes earlier, when we had been sitting outside at the table my uncle and late grandfather skillfully built decades ago, enjoying a delicious dutch oven dinner. As we ate, the older adults told stories and reminisced about times long ago and memories they have of our family and the special property we camp on. The younger generation stayed involved in the conversation as we listened intently and asked questions.

In a moment like this I could not help but envision the future. I could easily conjure up a picture of what might take place years down the line: I saw myself sitting at that same table surrounded by my own brothers and sisters, children, nieces and nephews, as we tell them tales and adventures from our own lives. I saw myself standing at the sink with Kirstin, singing and dancing along to an old Justin Timberlake song that my own daughter has never even heard as she sits at the table frosting her father or brother or cousin or whomever's birthday cake, shaking her head with a smile at what a weird mother and aunt she has.

These images filled my mind so easily and distinctly, and they filled my heart a with fierce hope that some truth lies within them. The Property holds a special spirit that gives me a wonderful feeling whenever I go there, and I want nothing more than to enjoy that blessing with my cousins, siblings, and most especially a family of my own someday. I think it'll happen. I really do.

And when it does, I hope we get to have as much fun as we did this last time around. It was a weekend full of good and happy things :)

With the great weather we spent more than one beautiful day out by the lake. So much fun!

And as always:

Mels tends to think she's a human being who deserves a chair and a spot at the table when we're camping...

The first time Tim has been to The Property. He's got the privilege now that he has married into the fam haha.

Time to go shooting!!!!

Fun fact y'all may not know about me: I LOVE to shoot guns. First up: lever action .22 rifle.

This gorgeous pistol is probably 45ish years old. It was my grandpa's.

Like mamma, like daughter :)


If you ask me, this is so much better than shooting in a range.

DEFINITELY my favorite of the day. The .308 rifle. I love me a good kickback. Love you Uncle Bill!

My family seems to think there's a gun lovin' montana boy in my future! :)
(You'll see me twitch real bad right before I pull the trigger... I was a little nervous the first time I shot this one!)

The man that always makes this happen. Here's the 30-30 savage. Love you Uncle Vince, and thank you!

Dad is trying out for a position as a sleep model. I think he'll land the job... :)

Always, always, always playing games.

Super gross and dirty and tired, time to head home!

But not before we stop for our traditional bite to eat at the infamous Eagle's Nest. I finally remembered where the world's best peanut butter chocolate shake is made!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment