Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Perfect Game

Very few things in life are perfect. Heck, there has only been one person ever on this earth who has lived a perfect life. And He was a pretty awesome guy. And while no one else ever has been or ever will be as perfect as Him, some people are special enough to achieve and experience moments of perfection during their lives. Today, I was a witness to a history-making moment of perfection as I watched Felix Hernandez pitch a perfect game against the Tampa Bay Rays at Safeco Field.

Now, some of you may already know that I like baseball. Well, let me go ahead and tell you that thats a bit of an understatement. I LOVE baseball. See here for a previous post about the love and devotion I have had to the Seattle Mariners since birth. In the pictures and videos to come, you will see for yourself the transformation that takes place when I am overcome with happiness excitement joy out-of-this-world-and-out-of-control-elation.

So anyway, it all started last week when mom and I bought tickets to today's game to see Felix Hernandez pitch. We didn't just buy any old tickets, we bought prime King's Court tickets. We occupied two seats of the designated two sections devoted to cheering on the 2010 Cy Young award winner, King Felix. As occupants of these special seats we were given stand-out yellow t-shirts, big yellow K signs, and lots of camera time. What ensued was the most stressful and exciting baseball game I have ever seen. Inning after inning Felix achieved 3 up, 3 down. Plenty of strikes were thrown, and when the ball was occasionally hit into play we had great reliable defenders back there keeping our King safe. It didn't really "strike" us (oh man, out comes my punny side) until after the 6th inning when he struck out the side that: wait a minute, this hasn't just been a no hitter. This has been a perfect game. Felix has to survive 3 more innings and he will have pitched a perfect game. AND WE ARE HERE TO SEE IT. From that point on out it was all shaky hands, elevated blood pressures, trying not to pee my pants (yes, seriously), and screaming as if the game depended on how loud I could be. Well friends, my screaming payed off. Because he did it!!! In 113 pitches, 12 strike outs and 26 swinging strikes, Felix threw the 23rd perfect game in MLB history, the 1st ever for the 35-year-old Mariner's Ball Club. For those of you who don't understand, that is a huge huge huge deal.
Like, huge.

Gosh guys, I really don't even know how to explain it. It was one of the most magical experiences of my entire life, and I don't believe I will ever go to a better game. King Felix made history tonight, and there are no words to tell you all how great it was to be there and be a part of it. So instead i'll just have to leave it to you to see the pictures and videos and try to grasp a bit of the magic for yourself.

Best believe i'm sitting outside on the back deck soaking up the best time of day and listening to the rebroadcast of the game on the radio. And next i'll be watching the recording on TV. I just have to experience it from every possible angle :)

Sodo Mojo.

Here's a quick rundown of how the game went. Oh and if you're looking for me in the sea of yellow, you'll def see me. I'm the one with the royal blue hat with the yellow M on it. We bow with the the "K" following every strikeout :)

Okay, you've been warned. I'm a maniac. Here lies the proof. Notice how bad my hands were shaking as I recorded the last 3 strikes of the game.

Awww yeah!

My typical feet shot.

It was HOT sitting in the straight sun, but dude, sooo worth it.

We had no idea what an exciting game lay ahead :)

Sitting in the King's seat.

:)

Soaking up our time in the happiest place on earth!

Mariner's MOOOOOOSE!

Getting up those K's.

Just a note: we were on the big screen at least 3 times, and watching the recorded game on TV at home we were also on TV a lot, after almost every strike-out. I can be seen bowing, jumping up and down, and throwing a pretty awesome fist pump.
I feel famous ;-)

This one is almost embarrassing. I was seriously so emotional it was insane.

Yup. Super happy.

DUDE.

Making sure we remember this day!

Lovelovelove.

There it is. 1-0 win. The perfect game.

No comments:

Post a Comment