Thursday, June 13, 2013

Attempting the Impossible

Have you ever experienced something completely life changing? Something that opened your eyes, made you think about the world a little differently, and inspired you to become a better person? An experience that involved meeting new people, seeing new places, and trying new, exciting things? For those of you who have served missions or studied abroad, traveled the world on your own time, or recognized other profound personal moments, I know the answer is yes. Whether it lasted for just a few moments, a few weeks, or even a few years, the inevitable question is asked upon your return: "How was {insert your experience here}?" For me, the question is now: "How was Tonga?"

I am loving and hating this question. I love talking about it. I hate trying to decide what to say about it. Every single one of 26 days I spent in the South Pacific changed me in some way. I observed a surgery that will leave some crazy images burned into my mind forever. I visited islands inhabited with fewer people than are shopping in a U.S. Walmart at any given time. I held and talked to bright, smiling children whom I immediately loved despite language barriers and cultural differences. I cleaned and dressed one of the largest foot ulcers I have ever seen. I swam through a Fijian river. I flew in a 16 passenger plane. I hiked through an ancient cannibal cave. I skinny dipped in the clearest blue ocean water that i'll ever see! I saw hundreds of wild pigs and dogs and cows. I was one of 16 people in a 7 passenger van. I helped dozens of children hear their heartbeat for the first time. I met individuals and families who are happy despite their destitute living conditions. I gained 12 new sisters who were with me every step of the way.

My global health nursing studies in Fiji and Tonga were amazing. But considering the fact that I literally filled an entire journal over the course of this trip, I can promise that it will be impossible for me to adequately express my feelings and experiences in a blog. And yet, in the next little while I will publish some posts and to do my best to share at least portions of our experience through my pictures and thoughts. I am so thankful for this first real world travel experience that i've had, and I hope you enjoy what I have to share with you!! More to come, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment