Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Mt. Si

Living in the Pacific Northwest means being constantly surrounded by outdoor adventure potential. Did I take advantage of this beautiful fact while I was in high school? No. Instead I hiked Rattlesnake Ridge more times than I can count. Its a great hike. But I could do it with my eyes closed now (I mean thats pretty much the same as climbing it in the dark like we did last summer right?).
Now that my friends and I only get to venture home to the PNW on holidays and such, we're getting better at doing more and seeing more than we ever have before. Several times in the past we've said, "Hey, lets go hike Si sometime." No, I don't mean Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty... But "hey," I like that guy. Well yesterday was Julia's 22nd birthday. And she got a new hiking backpack as her big gift. So what did she choose for us to do on her special day? MT. SI BABY! It was chilly and rainy and foggy. But hello, we are from Washington, that is our element. And it was perfect. 



I'll be honest, it wasn't easy. But with a fun group who kept us moving at a quick pace and appreciating our surroundings, it was a blast! 


Scattered snow patches made their first appearance as we neared the top. Thats when the coats started to go back on.

And at last, we reached the top! Alive and even smiling, I might add :)

What awaited us at the top was unexpected and also pretty dang cool. It was like attack of the birds... but in a good way. As my best friend sister missionary Hermana Thompson would say: BIRDEMIC!!!

Step 1: hold some lunch in hand.
Step 2: make eye contact with bird.
Step 3: invite it to come sit on hand.
Step 4: exchange formal introductions.
Step 5: tell new birdie friend they are welcome to eat the food you've lured them in with.
Step 6: bird flies away until you invite it back for seconds. and thirds.

Step 7: Get really super excited about the whole thing.

Step 8: Start to get brave and comfortable with new mountain peak bird friends and try stupid things. Like kissing them. Totally worth it.



Slo-mo action. Pretty legit.

I can't take credit for this one, but its too cool not to share!

In case you missed it, he's giving you the bird.

Birthday girl makes a generous offering of bread and peanut butter to the bird.








Happy birthday to this beautiful chica.
She walked into my life 8 years ago and changed it for the better.
So much love for you Jules!
Thanks for making me hike a mountain on your day. I wouldn't have had it any other way :)



Okay but seriously it was so hard and I barely got out of bed this morning. I didn't know I even had the muscles that are screaming for me to remain bed bound today. Feeling like 100 bucks today, people. Yes, I said 100. It's an accurate number.

No comments:

Post a Comment