Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Big Weekend Update


Half-Marathon #3: CHECK!

Let me tell you my friends, this was not my race. I don't know what happened, but I fell apart. But, before I launch into my whiny sob story about it all, let me brag in Brent's behalf, since I don't think he'll do it himself. This totally was Brent's race. It was his first half-marathon, and he rocked it. Even with very little training or running experience, he killed it. It was awesome, and I am so impressed and proud of him!

Okay, now for my experience. Never before have I stopped to walk during a race... this time I did. Never before have I run anywhere close to less than 10 minute miles during a race... this time I did. Brent and I started off running together, and we were keeping pretty dang good time, around an 8:30-8:40 min/miles. We kept that up until maybe mile 3, then slowed a bit as we started to hit some hills and started to feel the heat. Then around mile 5, I just started to feel like crap. I felt completely fatigued, and we weren't even half way through yet! I have about 100 excuses I could throw out, but they're all lame: I never train with hills, and this course had some. The sun was hot. The wind was pushing back against us. I donated plasma the day before. I ate junk food all week long. I took my first ever 5-hour energy right before that might have contributed to how weird I felt. Yadda yadda yadda, the list goes on. Fact of the matter is, it shouldn't have happened. I've been training for this race for months and I really wanted to do well. Brent and I stuck together until mile 7 and I felt like I was going to die, meanwhile I could tell he was starting to hit his stride and feel pretty good, so I made him leave me and do his best. No one deserves to be held back at all on their first race. So off he went, and I don't know how I survived the next 6 miles. It was awful and I just wanted to stop the entire time. There was lots of walking and I drank probably wayyy too much water at each station. But anyway, I eventually finished about 9 minutes behind Brent (He placed 11th in his male age division and I placed 14th in mine). And I had him and awesome friends waiting there at the end and thankfully no one who would negatively judge me on my slow time. I know i'm my harshest critic, its impossible not to be. My last half marathon time was 24 minutes faster than this one, so its hard not to be discouraged and disappointed! But you know what, I did it. AND, i'm going to do it again. Half-marathon #4 is scheduled for June 9th, so i've got my sights set on that now and i'm determined to drown out my disappointment in this race by dominating that one.

While it wasn't my best race, I am still glad I did it. It was a bright, warm, sunny day and we had fun with the overall experience :)

Josh and my visiting teacher Lauren surprised us at the finish line with bright posters and loud cheering :) They are so great. Brent's sister Lisa and her family all came out to surprise him too, but we were stupid enough to forget to get a picture with them. Thanks to all you guys for coming!
I was excited to go home and add a new number and finisher's medal to my motivation wall. Plus, gotta love the poster dad gave me for Christmas with a picture from my first half out on the salt flats. It says: i run, therefore i am. I love it and it is a constant reminder for me of what I am capable of.


The rest of the weekend was fantastic. Ward BBQ, sunshine, General Conference, FaceTime with family, painting my nails all Eastery, good chats with the roommates (then getting awfully tricked by said roommates, dang you April Fool's Day), getting some big school obligations completed, more General Conference, and the regular bi-weekly crazy fun family dinner with delicious food and competitive game playing.

You never know what'll happen when you put us together... (ps, so excited to live with Christie starting in the fall!)

Life gets hard and crazy and busy and confusing and overwhelming at times, but I am so blessed and grateful for the many many sources of happiness that I have surrounding me. I hope you all had a great weekend and have a great kick-off to the new week. Less than 3 weeks until this semester is done, we can make it!



1 comment: