Friday, July 19, 2013

Just Another Day At The Office

Guys, for the last five weeks I have had the most difficult summer job that has ever existed.
Get this - My employers just absolutely insist on paying me to do the following:

1) Eat every meal of every day at the cannon center where my food is made for me and the choices are endless
2) Sleep at the dorms so that I don't have to pay summer rent at an apartment
3) Spend time with other incredible, fun, hilarious, uplifting sports camp counselors who have many common interests and happen to form instant friendships with me
4) Take 9am to 3:30pm off every day to spend time with my family and friends
5) Hang out with hundreds of athletic youth
6) Play games
7) Eat popsicles
8) Go to a water park once a week
9) Eat free Hokulia shave ice
10) Watch sports
11) Go to hilarious talent shows
12) Party it up at 1-2 dances a week
13) Girl-talk with teenagers all day every day, haha!

Can you believe that?! Preposterous! How dare they demand so much of me?! 

Okay but lets get real, I lied.
BEST.SUMMER.JOB.EVER.
I mean yeah sure there was also some responsibility involved in making sure my group got to where they needed to go on time, didn't sneak out to roam the crazy streets of Provo, went to bed at a decent hour, and were spiritually uplifted throughout their week-long sports camp experience. Oh and also I had to wear the same shirt literally every single day. But honestly, I probably had a better time doing all these things than any of my girls ever did.
I had the opportunity to be with girls ages 12-17 who swam, played tennis, lacrosse, soccer, or volleyball. I loved each of my groups and am so grateful for what I learned through my experiences with them. I just hope and pray that in some way I was able to be an influence for good for at least some of them.

Okay, lets get to the fun part. 
Pictures!

So glad I never lived in Helaman Halls as a freshman. It was fine for the summer but... i'm not sure i'd have survived two whole semesters.

My very first group, gotta love those swimmers!

 Every monday evening we had a BYU football player come and give a little message to all the kids. We were uplifted and inspired every time and plus it got the campers pumped for their upcoming week!

I gotta tell you, one of my favorite parts of this job was witnessing the overt, hilarious, painful-to-watch flirting tactics of teenagers. I am SO GLAD i'm not in high school anymore!

Some of my tennis girls on their last day! Ah! 

 So every Wednesday after the water park everyone was starving. Thus, we'd spend counselor time ordering and devouring food. Sometimes pizza, sometimes Pita Pit, sometime Chinese. A LOT of Chinese. We did a good job making other groups jealous.

I love Utah mountains in all their majesty!

On our way to the waterpark. A bus packed to bursting with crazy little tweens.

It was a really fun last week for me. I had 15 volleyball girls and they were a hoot. They quite enjoyed stealing my phone and taking ridiculous pictures of themselves.

Oh shoot guys, don't even get me started on the crazy good times we counselors had together. More on this to come in future posts. But here's a taste.



I keep thinking about how much I regret that I haven't applied for this job for the last three summers.
And then I think to myself, i'm totally doing this again next summer. 
And then I realize, no i'm not. Because i'm going to be a college graduate, and it'll be time to get started on my real life big girl career. OHMYGOSH.
I'm so glad i've had this blessing and this opportunity this summer! It was so great!

No comments:

Post a Comment