Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Snoozing With Sinatra

"Man, i'm just so sick of hanging out with this impossibly cute cuddly baby all the time"
...
- SAID NO ONE EVER.
Amelia Mae is the latest addition to my pristine collection of nieces and nephew (still singular). It is of course my greatest hobby, collecting these cute little people. I spent the last few weeks living part-time with Rob and Diane and Little Red here. It was the greatest. They've lived just next door to me for the last two years, but actually being in the same apartment was more special because I was there in the perfect moments to be a part of the many spontaneous smiles and gigantic spit-ups and hilariously disgusting diaper blowouts. I took my turns babysitting and playing on the floor during wiggle time and settling her down and rocking her to sleep. It really is amazing how much a little tiny person's personality comes through even when they are only a few months old. This girl here, she's a good one. She likes me, so she's definitely a keeper in my book :)

Last week Diane and I were just sitting in the living room and Amelia was on the floor wiggling like she does (I swear she does this more than the average baby) and then boom, suddenly she'd rolled over from her back onto her tummy. For the first time ever. Diane and I just busted up laughing because it was so unexpected and exciting. We had fun repeating and recording her newly discovered talent for the remainder of that morning.

I love this girl any time of day no matter she's doing, but i'll tell ya what, there is something extra special about a peacefully sleeping baby. One day during wiggle time Little Red here got pretty tuckered out. Who could blame her? Moving her arms and legs all crazy like she does has got to be exhausting after a while. I happened to catch this video as she tried mightily to fight her exhaustion. But in the end, the heavy eyelids claimed their victory.

Amelia and I grew to be good dance buddies. I quickly discovered that the Frank Sinatra Pandora station was the key to calming cries and promoting smiles... and also apparently snores. One minute we were dancing and singing along and then boom, next thing I know she's out cold. How rude, leaving me to party all by myself.

So as I turned her around to cuddle up against me to continue her snooze, I snapped a picture because the moment was just too precious to not document.
And then I stood there looking in the mirror, looking at her. As I held the latest addition to my tiny person collection, I was hit with a wave of such overwhelming love for her. I can't quite explain it, but it literally brought tears to my eyes (i'm such a sap, this I know). I couldn't believe how much love could fill my heart in one moment. I can only imagine how this degree of love will be multiplied someday when I eventually have little people of my own. It will be nothing short of magical, i'm sure.

Amelia isn't the only member of this fabulous fam that likes to catch up on some ZZZs in during the day. I snapped this priceless pic one afternoon when they were all out for the count at the same time. Too good.

And now... more pictures of me with snoozing baby. Because I love them. And because I can.
Shameless baby selfies. Sorry not sorry.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment