Sunday, October 23, 2011

Things As They Really Are


Do I ignore things as they really are? Am I paying attention to things that have actual and lasting value? Do I ever allow myself to get caught up in a virtual reality?

Does the use of my technology invite or impede the companionship of the spirit?
Does the time I spend on facebook, texting, or surfing the web enlarge or restrict my capacity to live, love, and serve in meaningful ways?

I love technology. I love my cell phone. I love texting. I love browsing blogs. I love blogging. I get caught up browsing facebook and catching up on other peoples' lives. But do I love and use it for the right reasons?

Sometimes, yes. Without the technology of Skype, texting, and facebook, I wouldn't be able to stay as connected with my family. iChat allows me to connect with at least one of my distant family members or friends every day. I get to see them through video and stay caught up on whats going on in their lives. What a blessing to be able to feel so close to them despite the hundreds of miles between us.

Sometimes, no. My mouse gets drawn to the facebook tab when i'm in the middle of doing my microbio homework. I put off studying because Castle just went up on Hulu. Texts draw me away from listening to whats being said in my New Testament class. It is these moments that I need to learn to avoid. To remember whats really important, whats REAL. I pray regularly to have the spirit to be with me, and this is one step that I can take to allow that blessing to enter my life more readily.

Just a few of my thoughts on this beautiful sunday afternoon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment