Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sick And Sad


Newsflash: Throwing up is a super gross experience. I had forgotten the truth of this statement until yesterday.


Okay so we hang out at a certain guys' apartment pretty much all the time (you know who you are boys!), and a couple of them got a little flu bug this week. For some odd reason, I felt that there was no way in heck i'd be susceptible to contracting whatever they had. It was no big deal. They seemed relatively fine. And I had a flu shot in September! So nestled in their apartment I stayed, sitting on the same couches, eating the same food, high fiving, and just hanging around as usual for hours. I felt great, so what could possibly go wrong?

3 o'clock in the morning. My eyes opened, because my stomach was doing this not so awesome little churny and tumbly dance. Ohhhh no, I thought, I refuse to be sick. I'm imagining this. I haven't had the flu since 6th grade, so maybe this isn't really what it feels like?... And so I willed myself to stay put and try to fall back asleep. Well, after 2 hours of pointless self talk, I decided I should probably not just lay there anymore. I got up, walked to the bathroom, and let me tell you, I had barely pulled back my hair and assumed the infamous kneeling by the toilet position before the inevitable happened. I'll spare you the nasty details, but wow. Puking is NOT fun. I had forgotten how UNfun it was. And I sincerely hope its a long long time before I have to experience the UNfunness of it again. Those boys in WQ3 made it look so easy! They'd throw up and then be totally fine like 2 seconds later. Me, I was an epic mess. It was gross.

So then my friday turned into a serious pity party. If you didn't know, i'm pretty dang good at feeling sorry for myself. So I spent the day being sick and sad. I slept, sat outside on the front steps where I could breath some fresh clean air, had a repeat of the grossness mentioned above, slept, watched some TV, slept some more, and then watched some more TV. Then I had a Priesthood blessing. And oh how grateful for that I was. I am grateful to be in a place where I am surrounded by so many worthy men who can exercise their faith and their ability to administer to other people. It was a great comfort to me and really did make me feel better. I then proceeded to waste the rest of the day watching movies, sleeping some more, and trying to move around a bit without letting my head explode. I even was able to stomach some lemonade and canned pears that my wonderful mamma just sent me.

I am so grateful for everyone who helped me yesterday. For Christina for rubbing my sore back. For Lindsey for buying me peanut butter (that was NOT eaten immediately, I think it was the first time it has ever not sounded good!) and for fetching every little thing I needed while I layed pitifully on the couch. And for sticking around with me all day when she could have been out partying it up. And for Grant and Austin for being awesome gentlemen willing to take some time on a friday afternoon to come over and help me out in a very special way. You are all amazing and will be blessed for your greatness :)

And guess what? After all that, I woke up feeling great (in comparison) this morning. My head and back still hurt, but the nausea was completely gone. I was able to move around, get some homework done, eat some food, and even go for an easy jog. Thank goodness for the short term bug.

So for tonight's tip to the world: Try really hard not to throw up. Its hard. And really icky.

And now, i'm ready to move on with the rest of my weekend. And i'm going to enjoy it, because i'm healthy and happy! Wish me luck on my sunday school lesson tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, let's make sure there's no flu going around at Thanksgiving. That will make your wisdom teeth life much easier.

    ReplyDelete