Monday, May 21, 2012

Tri Tri Again?

Hello and happy monday to all! Lets do a little weekend update, shall we?

Bright and early on Saturday morning I had the opportunity to participate in the Women of Steel triathlon in American Fork with a few friends from my ward. As a racer? No. {But did I have ya going for at least a moment there? :)} We dawned bright yellow t-shirts along with the latest fashion of neon orange vests and were part of the volunteer force for the day. Essentially we were the cheerleaders who tried to keep the women motivated and on the right course as they pushed their bodies through the challenges of swimming, biking, and running.
Usually being in a competitive atmosphere like this makes me want to make the change from the sideline cheerleader to the participant who is being cheered for. But a triathlon? Mmm, I just don't know about that one. I can run, but I have next to no experience with either swimming or biking. It'd take a whole lot of training and acquiring two completely new skill sets. Could I do it? I think I could probably manage a sprint tri if I really wanted to and really put the time into it. But the real question is do I want to? I don't know... do I "Tri"?
This woman was standing on the sidelines near where I was stationed and she was cheering for her friends and holding this sign. I think she received a whooole lot more encouragement from the racers than they received from her! Time after time they would run by and say, "It IS easy!" "You can do it" "Next year!" Super funny to watch. I wonder if they inspired her enough to be a participant next year!


Meanwhile, mom and dad were in SoCal this weekend. At one of my favorite places in the world.
Without me.
When I was a sophomore in high school, we used spring break to take a family trip (and Brenna came too!) to California to visit grandma and grandpa, go to disneyland, lay on the beach, and have some serious fun. As we were enjoying a drive along the coast one day, we stopped to eat lunch at a place called Paradise Cove. Right on the beach, we were led to an outside table where we could put our feet in the sand, see and listen to the ocean, and soak up the sunshine. Lunch was delicious, but thats not what made this place so memorable...
Once we finished our meal, my grandpa requested 2 pieces of their chocolate cake for our dessert. The waiter laughed and said, "You mean one piece right?" Uhh, nooo, there are six of us, we'll just share 2 pieces. Or so we thought. The waiter insisted, "How about I bring you one piece, and if you still want another one after that, i'll bring it to you." We were definitely confused, but sure why not, that was fair enough. And then, the cake came out and we were confused no more. It was HUGE. One slice was the equivalent of an entire cake, a full slice for each of the 6 of us. Well, turns out it was just as delicious as it was gigantic. Hands down best chocolate cake i've ever had. Ever since that day over 4 years ago i've dreamt about that cake. And what did mom and dad do this weekend? They went back to Paradise Cove. They stuck their feet in the sand, watched the ocean waves, and ate the world's most decadent chocolate cake. And despite my begging and pleading, they didn't ship me any via overnight mail. Such disappointment. Oh but behold, they didn't hesitate to torture me by sending a tasteless picture! Remember how its my dream to teleport? Yeah, that'd come in handy right about now.


Saturday night we had a ward activity at our Bishop's beautiful home in Alpine. Has my vote for one of the world's best backyard I think. Swimming pool (with diving board), hot tub, swing set, volleyball, fire pit, BBQ, comfy lounge chairs, and lots of grassy area for game playing. It made for a great saturday evening with lots of fun.
One of my favorite people ever was in town this weekend and graced us with his presence at the ward activity :) Josh is such a fun loving goofball and great to be around and I hate that he moved home to Nevada for spring/summer. This kid saved my life during my run on friday. My body was shutting down on me with still a few miles to go, but he met up with me when I had just 1.4 miles left and helped me push through to the finish! Thanks Josh, love ya buddy!
We had a blast spending the beautiful evening playing volleyball, eating good food, and being together as a ward.


Did you watch the solar eclipse? If not, too bad, you missed out, it was pretty cool! Impossible to take pictures of with my phone... buuuut of course I attempted anyway haha:


Happy monday guys. Hope you are having a great start to a new week!

No comments:

Post a Comment